Monday, July 21, 2014

Down the rabbit hole

I stood in the shower just staring at it. I had tried everything. Push pull, turn left, turn right... I had even lifted up the little spigot thing on the bath tap but still the water just kept gushing out. I'm not sure if it's because I'm running on a very small amount of sleep or the country of America just radiates something that lowers your IQ but for the life of my I can't remember how to turn off the shower.

My room in the hotel wasn't ready when I arrived at 8am in the morning and I can understand that. I checked my big bag in with them and with my bulking backpack decided to venture into this strange new territory. Down the street I'm on is the famous Santa Monica pier so naturally, I head directly towards it.

Only one crossing, or 'crosswalk' separates me from the wooden planks of the pier and I press my fingers to the button. "WAIT" A voice commands. Oh, okay. that's a bit obvious isn't it? I draw my hand away and wait but there's something wrong. Where's the beeping? The pinging telling you that you shouldn't walk? Maybe I didn't press the button right? I better push it again to be sure. My fingers are hovering mere millimeters from the chrome surface as a voice jumps out at me dripping with authority "WAIT". I jump, and the man behind me laughs. "New here I'm guessing?" I'm completely red as I tell him I only just arrived at the states. As we talk every five seconds the crossing tells us to wait and then after the walk tells us it is okay to move we say our goodbyes and go our separate ways.

The pier itself is beautiful, I'm lucky enough to share it with only a handful of other people at this time of day. The pigeons, oh god the pigeons are the fattest, fluffiest pigeons I have every seen. They make the Australian pigeons look like bulimic runway models. As I walk they all come in turns, landing on the railing beside me to scope out if I have any food for them before flying off. Slowly shopkeepers a begin to pull out carts, lift shutter on windows and open doors and a sign catches my eye. Funnel Cakes! What are those? My brain does a triple jump in logic and now all I can think about is a trapdoor spider hiding under a waffle covered in a scoop of ice cream and covered in topping.

As the pier starts to get crowded I retreat back into the buildings of the city of Santa Monica where it is still relatively quiet and get down to business. I should find a shop to get a new sim card from so I can call everyone I need to and I should get some wifi so I can tell my family I arrived safe. The second should be a very easy job since this is America and there's Starbucks and McDonalds on every corner right? Right? About 40 minutes of searching later I stumble into a Coffee Bean and get my fix of internet and caffeine and damn, it's good.

Six hours later of wandering the Third Street Promenade making a list of things to come back and buy once I've had a shower and nap. Finally I'm able to get into my room and of course I head to the bathroom where another surprise awaits me. The toilet bowl is half-full of water. It must be clogged, how unprofessional. I'm a little disgusted at such a slip on the hotel's before and decide to see if it will clear with a flash and my hand automatically goes to the top of the cistern to press the buttons. The buttons which aren't there of course, because this isn't Australia. Eventually I figure it out, there's a lever to the side and I flick it down. the toilet bowl drains before quickly refilling to the same level. Huh. My bad, guess this is just how they are.

I'm still standing in the shower and decide to give the handle another turn and just my luck a miracle occurs : it turns off. Thank you water gods, I can finally get out and buy some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment